Sunday, 30 August 2015

Southwell and Riat. July 2015

Well having got back from our French trip on at midnight on the Friday it was a case of doing the washing and cleaning and tidying the caravan ready for a departure on the next Wednesday up to Southwell to visit Stuart, Nic and Scarlet. We had a good run up the A46, arriving on the campsite which is next to the Old Silk Mill which is their English home.

Stuart and Scarlet were waiting on the site for us.  We soon pitched up with help from Scarlet!  That evening we went to a Pizza House in Newark for dinner with Nics parents.On the Thursday we went into Southwell for morning coffee and then all of us  lazed around the campsite.  Stuart had to leave at about 4.00pm for an IB meeting in Cardiff. After he had gone it was time for a BBQ in the very hot sun.

Lizzie and Scarlet enjoying the BBQ

Scarlet wanted to see the seaside, so on the Friday the four of us set off for Cleethorpes, where we had an excellent lunch in a beach side cafe, before spending several hours sat on the beach, where we had fun burying Scarlet on the sand.
Scarlet and I went for a paddle!

Scarlet is under there somewhere!

On Saturday we went into Southwell again. This really is a nice town and is well worth a visit. On Sunday the four of us went out for lunch at a delightful pub in the countryside. Scarlet spent some time playing in the adventure playground there.


Stuart got back from Cardiff at around 5.00pm

On Monday Lizzie and I went into Newark and collected Stuart Nic and Scarlet as they had returned the hire car.  We then lazed around the site in the sun.

At 5.00am on the Tuesday I collected Stuart and co, and took them to Birmingham airport as they were flying to Boston, where Nic was on a course for a week. It was very good to see the three of them, even if it was only for a short period, due to the pressures on theirs and our diaries.
Perhaps when they move on next year to a new country they might return to Europe and then we can drive out and see them!
We spent the rest of the day doing the washing and preparing a curry to take with us to RIAT.

We left at 11.00am on the Wednesday to drive south to the Royal International Air Show which is held at Fairford.

The run down to Fairford was straight forward and we got to the site at about 2.30, where we met up with Robert.  He had arrived earlier in the day and was already set up with his new expedition trailer.

The next few days were spent watching the planes arrive and then practice their displays.

Mark arrived on Thursday and then Cathy came down with Dennis, the hound on Friday.

We went in to the show on Friday.It was very hot and we had a good look round. There were an amazing number of Spitfires on display and we watched them fly in formation on several occasions. We also were able to get very close to the Vulcan, which was making its last visit, prior to being grounded at the end of the year.
The Vulcan
A gaggle of Spitfires!

Red Arrows!

We also went into the show on the Sunday to see the bits that had not previously been open.  If we go next year we will not go in on the Sunday as the Adrenalin zone does not really interest us.
We did enjoy seeing these! Perhaps the next project for me to build!
On the Monday we all cleared up in the hot sun whilst watching the planes depart.
Robert and Cathy departed for their summer holiday near Eastbourne and we headed home having had an excellent time!

Probably the last time we will see the Vulcan flying!

No comments:

Post a Comment