Tuesday, 7 February 2017

Overshore CS, Upchurch, Kent

Well we set off for Upchurch in Kent, a distance of 157 miles. Virtually the whole route was motorway so we reached the site in exactly three hours, which is not bad as we were towing.
The site belongs to Tara, who is a friend of my cousin Lee.
The site is a 5 caravan CC, with a small commercial site next to it. It is on the edge of the River Medway, but you cannot see the water as high earth banks are in the way. Entrance is by way of a double width gate, so nice and easy. www.overshorecaravanparkupchurch.co.uk

On site.

We were soon set up, and Lee turned up to see us and to show her brand spanking new Pick up truck.

On the Friday Lee came down to see us and we went off to see her boys, (two Shetland ponies), before going back to her place for a takeaway Chinese supper.

Saturday was bright and sunny so we set off for the Romney,  Hythe and Dymchurch Railway. We headed for the brand new station at Dungness, where ther was a smart cafe that we could sit in and watch the trains arriving. It was their end of season steam gala, so the line was really busy. trains were arriving Double headed, pulling 14 coaches. They were then split into two trains, each of seven coaches. The first then left to run non stop back to Hythe, whilst the second train ran back to Hythe as a stopper.  www.rhdr.org.uk

There are two engines under that smoke and steam.
Second train ready to depart.

The Royal Coach on the end of the train.

On the Sunday it was very windy so we set off for Margate to see the rough seas. Margate, despite the regeneration work is still a very depressing place, with many places closed down.
We got to the front, and were disappointed that the seas were not as rough as we had hoped as the winds was blowing offshore.

Not as rough as we had hoped.
We drove on to Cliftonville and found a very old fashioned, and rather quaint cafe, where we had coffee.

We spent the next couple of days doing odd bits of shopping and visiting some of my old haunts.

On the Wednesday Lee collected us mid afternoon, and we went to visit her new offices and yard, which are inside the Historic Dockyard at Chatham.  The dockyard is a mixture of historic sites, residential and industrial units. Sounds a mishmash but it works well. We then went back to Lees for dinner.

I spent most of Thursday at Lee's house sitting,  as she was having a new conservatory built, and she had to go to meetings with work.

Friday morning saw me heading for Gillingham Parish Church. My mum and dad were married there in the late 1940's and I was christened there in the early 1950's.  I enjoyed looking round the church.

On Saturday we did some clearing up, ready for a departure on the Sunday. Lee collected us late in the afternoon and we set off for Sittingbourne Dogs.  Advertised as 'Kents Big Night Out' it turned out to be great fun.
Lee had arranged for a group of us to go. Dinner had been booked. The restaurant was in tiers, so as we sat having dinner we could watch the racing. Races happen every twenty minutes, so it is very busy. A man comes round and collects your bets before each race, and also pays your winnings. Yes we did make a small profit.
The whole evening was great fun, and we are looking forward to going again.

Lee and friends at the Dogs!

On the Sunday we left at 11.30 and were home before 3.00pm after an excellent week away!

No comments:

Post a Comment