Friday, 19 October 2012

Burrs Country Park Caravan Club Site. 12th - 16th October

We took just over an hour to get to Burrs Country Park CC site.  As it was fully booked for the weekend we were surprised at the number of pitches available when we arrived at one thirty. We were fortunate enough to get one on the top rank with a clear view of the railway.  As it was a Diesel spectacular weekend this would ensure we had a good view of the trains.

We have been to this site several times before so I am not going to repeat myself, except to say it is rather good, although on the expensive side. We notice this even more now that we stay on CL sites at about £10.00 to £14.00 per night including electric.  Burrs court is £20.00 a night!
On Friday evening we met up with Cathy, Robert and the boys  for an excellent dinner. Robert is certainly an excellent Chef!

On Saturday morning Lizzie and I went down to Bury's famous market. It was really crowded, so Lizzie was wheeled round.  We spent very little, although we did admire some of the items on sale that you do not see down south.  The meat, bacon and sausages that we bought were really good.

Then it was back to camp to watch trains!

In the evening we went out with Cathy, Robert and the boys to a local restauraunt.

On the next pitch to us was this motorhome!
This was one of the biggest motor home I have ever seen on a site in the UK.  It was huge!  On each sides were 'slideouts' which made the living  space even bigger. Accompanying it was a BMW.  Both vehicles had consecutive registration numbers.

Sunday was a quiet day, spent reading and watching trains.  This was my favourite one!

I remember building Airfix models of these!

On Monday, after a proper breakfast we set off for Snake Pass, in the Nortern Peak District.  the views were spectacular.

Before we left though this steam train appeared and I was able to capture it as a back drop to our pitch.

When we reached Snake Pass we headed for Derwent water.  Lizzie took some spectacular photographs!

Derwent Water was where the Dam Busters practiced during the preparation for their famous raids.
We returned to the caravan, and then had dinner with Cathy and Rob. Superb Liver!

Overnight on the Monday it got really windy.  One of our awning poles snapped, but fortunately no other damage so that will easilly repaired!

This was our first trip out with our newly insulated heating system. I have to say that the improvement was amazing.  We actually got the loo and shower room warmer than the main part of the caravan!

We cleared up in the morning. Robert called in to say farewell, as we are unlikely to see him until the new year.
The journey home took just over 4 hours. Not bad for 190 miles towing a caravan!

Now to plan our next trip, as we hope to go away again at least twice before Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment