Tuesday, 7 March 2017

Moreton in the Marsh CC Site.20th February.

Well it has been a long time since our last Caravan trip, over two months in fact. Christmas, family birthdays and a major revamp of the living rooms of our house necessitated us being at home. Jade, Jack and Josie stayed with us over half term week and as soon as they returned home to Reading we were off.
Moreton in the Marsh is a place we have driven through many times, but never stopped at.  After a very pleasant run up through Tetbury, Cirencester and Stow on the Wold we reached the site.
Now Moreton in the Marsh CC site is very big, about 180 pitches, and it was shown as full on the web site so it was very fortunate that we had booked.

Set up on site

We soon set up on pitch 49, which I chose faced South . In view of the predicted storm 'Doris' was a wise choice.. The awning was soon up and the caravan was ready for our weeks stay.
As we were driving up Lizzie unfortunately had a phone call to say that her step father, Roy, had unfortunately passed away.
As her mum was surrounded by Lizzie's two sister and four step brothers there was no real reason for us to return immediately.
Supper was cooked, and then the discovery was made!!!  My pills had been forgotten. So it was off to bed, so I could make a trip home early in the morning to collect them.
I was up early, breakfasted, and on the road by 8:15, and home by 9:25. Grabbed my pills, and back on the road and back at the caravan by 10.45.
Later that day I wandered down to have a look at the town.
An image of Moreton in the Marsh from the 1960's. If you put modern cars in, it could be today.

About 9.00 am on the Tuesday we were having breakfast when there was a knock at the caravan door. It was one of the wardens, who duly presented us with a goody bag, and she told us that we were now staying on Moreton in the Marsh Caravan and Motorhome Club Site. The CC had rebranded itself to create a more modern image.  Then the wardens started changing all, and I mean all of the signs on the site to ones that had the new name and colours on. They even were changing all of the pitch numbers!

Tuesday was a nice bright, albeit cold day, so we wrapped up warm and set of for Moreton in the Marsh as it was Market day. We parked straight outside a little cafe so coffee was the order of the day. Then off round the Market. Interesting, but nothing was bought apart from some vegetables for supper.  Lizzie enjoyed the independence of having her very own mobility scooter!

We decided that we would go down to see Lizzie's mum on the Wednesday, so it was another trip back home. We met up with Lizzie's mum, as well as Coral and Robyn, Lizzie's two sisters.
A couple of hours there and we returned via home to the caravan.

I needed to return to Bristol yet again on the Thursday for the will reading at 12 noon. As the weather was expected to be very rough I checked the caravan, and double pegged the awning before leaving. I went a different way back, heading towards Gloucester and down the M5. It certainly was very windy.
I met Lizzie's mum, Coral, Robyn and Andy at the solicitors. The solicitor read the will, and as expected everything went to Lizzie's mum. Andy and I had been told that we were to be the executors, but that had still been in the process of being sorted so Lizzie's mum was the executor.
The journey back was a bit of a nightmare with many trees down, blocking roads. Also a lorry had lost its load of straw on to a car.
Eventually I got back to the caravan, and was met with a pale faced Lizzie.  Apparently the caravan had rocked back and forth in the wind. Anyway all was safe.  All except for the small drip we were getting from the roof seam, so the caravan was booked in to Chipping Sodbury Caravans on the Monday morning.

Friday was a really lovely day so we went down to Bourton on the water for a good look round!We then went on to Stow on the Wold, but parking was impossible, so it was back to the caravan to enjoy the afternoon sun.

Bourton on the Water

Bourton on the Water

Bourton on the Water war memorial!

I was collecting some bits and pieces for Robert, that he had bought on E Bay. As this was in the direction of Reading we collected the bits and then dove on to meet James, Jade, Jack and Josie for lunch at the Retreat in Early.

Sunday was clear up day, so the awning was packed away, almost dry and then we headed for home.
As we left the site the heavens opened, so we were really lucky to clear up in the dry.

Home safely and the Caravan was emptied and delivered to the dealers first thing on Monday morning, and we got it back all fixed on the Tuesday afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment